Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Spring Cleaning Surprises

During the cold months, I spend just as much time in my shed as needed to cut, sew and press a project.  Everything taken off shelves or out of drawers or boxes simply gets tossed on a table or the back of a chair or any other surface that isn't walked on.  So when we had a bit of warmer weather last week, I began spring cleaning in my sewing shed and I found a few surprises!

Surprise #1: My First Ever Foundation Paper Piecing Project!
I have no idea how this got buried on my sewing table.  Nor do I know why I never sandwiched it.  Perhaps because it's a bit wonky?  The hearts are 1" blocks, so the entire top is rather small.  I made it about 15 years ago.  Maybe it's been waiting around all this time so it could become a Kindle cover!

Surprise #2: Funky 4" Heart Blocks
I made these heart blocks about 4 years ago when I was experimenting with glue, various machine stitches, and cutting out applique shapes using paper-folding techniques.  Along with 7 square blocks, I found a rectangular block and some 2.5" strips of heart fabric.  No time like the present, right?  I sat and sewed the strips to the blocks on two sides, log-cabin style.  (I needed a break from cleaning, anyway.)  For the other two sides, I tried some scraps from a current project I'm working on.

Right color, sort of.  Wrong scale, definitely.  The funky flowers compete with the appliqued heart.  So I rumaged through my nearby box of test fabrics (fabrics I use to test blocks, techniques, etc.) and came up with this:
Better scale, lighter value.  From a distance, it looks pretty good.  I think I'll stick with this one.  What I'll do with the finished 8 blocks I haven't a clue!

Surprise #3: The Aqua Project
I also found a stack of 9-Patch blocks made of a variety of coordinated aqua fabrics:

Along with these, I found a stack of plain aqua blocks, some 2.5" strips of aqua fabrics and a half-yard cut of white-on-white.
I remember working on this last summer before my mom's emergency hernia surgery.  What was my plan for using these blocks?  I haven't the foggiest idea!  Any ideas?

No comments: