Thursday, February 24, 2011

Snow Day!

Today was a Snow Day - a day when kids stay home from school and places that have the option of closing do so.  The weather forecasters were predicting anything from a few inches to two feet of snow last night.  We got one inch!  There's a good chance that there'll be no school tomorrow either.  The temperature is supposed to drop to 20 degrees F tonight, turning all that slushy stuff to a sheet of ice.  I won't be going anywhere until it melts.

When my friend J was here yesterday, a little bird flew into my shed window.  It was temporarily stunned enough that J snapped a photo.

This was an unknown species to either of us, so I went online to see if I could solve this mystery.  I got lucky!  I found a site called identify.whatbird.com and even at the slow speed of 28.8 bps it only took ten minutes to learn that this little bird is a Golden-crested Kinglet.  I wish you could see the irridescent olive colorings in his wings.  I've always thought of olive as a drab color, but it's rather jewel-like on this tiny bird.

No comments: