Saturday, October 5, 2013
While sorting through containers a few weeks ago, I found a few applique pieces already cut out with the fusible web ironed on. I think I must have cut them out at least five years ago. I frequently trace and cut out more pieces than I actually need, especially small pieces because they so easily fall to the floor and vanish into some black hole. I'm a little surprised, though, to find bigger pieces.
Knowing that if I put them back into the little plastic box, it would be another five or more years before I happened to find them again, I took some time out from reorganizing my studio to press the pieces onto some fabric, assemble a little quilt sandwich and stitch everything in place. As an art piece, the composition isn't great -- a few more leaves would have been nice, and some embroidered leaf stems and curly-cues. But it'll make a fun little display for Halloween. Instead of binding it, I'll serge the edges and then pin it to my dad's bulletin board in the nursing home. If it goes missing (things in his room have a tendency to do that), it won't be a great loss of my time.