For this project, I deliberated both options. My go-to method for most projects is to use sashing between the blocks unless assembling the blocks without sashing creates a new design effect, as when Snowball blocks and 9-Patch blocks are sewn together. In this case, sewing the blocks without sash would have created colorful 9-patches floating in a sea of white -- not the effect that I wanted. A red or green or even blue sash would have disrupted the white sea, but I was concerned that the constant size of the sashing strips would emphasize the irregular size of the white framing strips. I know I named this The Crooked Man's Christmas Quilt, but I really didn't want to emphasize the irregularities!
So, I decided to add another round of framing strips in the style of the Courthouse Steps block. To distract the eye from comparing the irregularities in the blocks, I framed four of the blocks with red fabric and five of the blocks with green fabric.
I couldn't fit much on my scanner, but this should give you a good idea of what the blocks look like. When I sewed the blocks together, I alternated the red and green. It was sunny yesterday and I took a photo of the nearly completed top, but forgot to save it to my flashdrive. Here's a virtual rendition of my quilt made in Electric Quilt.
Tomorrow, I'll try to get the photo on my flashdrive! (My desktop computer doesn't have my camera's software on it, so I have to download photos on my laptop in the trailer, save photos to a flashdrive and bring it over to the house where my desktop is. Someday I'll get everything organized in one location. Someday.)